How to clean dog poop from carpet and fabric
Cleaning pet stains completely and successfully from fabric can be difficult, but it is worth the extra time it takes to do it correctly. Aside from making your home look and smell dirty, areas that have dog poop or urine odor will attract your dog back to the area where he will go again—and again—and again!
This purpose of this article is to provide you with guidance on cleaning up the unfortunate accidents that every dog owner eventually will confront.
How to clean urine from carpets and upholstery:
- Moving from the outside inward, use a towel to blot up as much urine as possible.
- To dilute the urine, rinse the area with water.
- Repeat the first step to blot up as much urine as possible.
- Apply an enzyme solution to eliminate odors and marks/stains such as Nature’s Miracle. Make sure to use enough of the enzyme solution to penetrate the carpet fibers, pad, and all areas the urine may have penetrated.
How to clean dog waste from carpets and upholstery:
- If the dog waste is solid, pick it up.
- If the waste is wet, spray with a product such as Poop-Freeze, which solidifies the waste, and then pick it up.
- Apply an enzyme cleaner to the area to remove any remaining odors and stains.
More tips and trick to clean dog poop from your carpet
- Oprah recommends using club soda to and dish washing liquid to clean dog poop from carpets
- The YouTube channel “Housecleaning Tips,” recommends using a spray bottle with vinegar.
- We used Nature’s Miracle to clean up after our dog Rusty as he got older and accidents became more frequent. We found this product worked well and always kept some on hand.
- Urine will glow when exposed to a black light. The PeeDar Pet Urine Detector is a black-light flashlight and will illuminate pet stains.
How Pet Enzyme Cleaners Work
As mentioned above, to clean both urine and dog-waste stains, we recommend using an enzyme deodorizer. Pet waste and urine contain tremendous amounts of protein. Certain types of bacteria are attracted to this protein and consume it as food. The bacteria produce strong odors during the digestion process. To eliminate the smell, you must eliminate the protein. Enzyme cleaners contain live micro-organisms that work to consume the proteins. Eliminating the protein means eliminating the bacteria and, therefore, eliminating the smell.
Last updated 12/2/2019